After two years development, KLEB now has a vibrant research team. The average age of researchers is 37.5-year-old, and 66.7% of the researchers are under 40.
KLEB has the three youngest “100-talent program” professors at RCEES: Aibin Zhan (32-years-old when recruited in 2012), Ye Deng (33-years-old when recruited in 2013) and Zhengang Liu (35-year-old when recruited in 2013). The yong scientists under 40 years are at the most active and creative stage, and are able to make breakthrough progress at the scientific frontiers. Moreover, they have a greater effect in terms of motivate young scholars under the age of 35 at the KLEB. At present, the laboratory has a number of researchers who are under the age of 35 that have the potential to show a good momentum of development.
KLEB has a strategic goal of stabling backbone of research team, introducing of talents and nurturing top-notch talent. KLEB has taken the following measures to strengthen the research ability and the team construction:
(1) Recruit well-known scientists: we recruit well-known scientists both overseas and domestically, and provide them comfortable environment for research and living;
(2) Nurture young scientists: we set up outstanding young talent training programs for members below 35-year-old and encourage them to compete for the National Excellent Youth Science Fund Award. At the same time, we set up a "Youth Fund" for researchers under 30-year-old. The aim of this fund is to create a good environment for young scholars who enter the talent training scheme to promote their scientific research.
(3) Implement the plan of "soft and hardware construction": with the support of RCEES, KLEB is dedicated to provide good living and working environments to researchers. By far, the per capita area in the lab is over 30 m2.
(4) Implement international training programs: we establish cooperative relationships with international well-known universities and research institutions, and select our outstanding young researchers to study and conduct research there in cooperation with world class scientists.
(5) Implement the "priority development" plan: in order to strengthen the research in bioinformatics area, KLEB has recruited five well-known scientists internationally. In addition, with sustained investment in the areas of bioinformatics and biological pollution formation mechanism, there have been interdisciplinary research efforts among KLEB scientists.
With the effort mentioned above, KLEB actively promotes the construction of scientific research platform, establishes a people-oriented culture, builds the team spirit and incentive mechanism, creates an active and free environment to generate new ideas, and stimulates innovation. Some of the main achievements in team construction are summarized as follows:
(1) The director of KLEB, Professor Aijie Wang, was awarded the National Outstanding Youth Science Fund.
(2) Professors Aibin Zhan, Ye Deng, Zhengang Liu, Lei Cao and Aijie Wang were selected by the “100-Talent Program” of CAS. Now, 58.3% of the Professors in KLEB are sponsored by the Hundred Talents Program.
(3) The director of KLEB, Professor Aijie Wang, was selected as young scientific and technological innovation leader by Ministry of science and technology in 2013.
(4) Professor Zhang Limei won the National Outstanding Youth Science Fund award, and was elected into the youth innovation promotion association of CAS in 2011.
(5) KLEB successfully recruited six young talents in biotechnology, bioengineering, biophysics and bioinformatics.
After a short period of time development, we have a remarkable increment in the number of talents.
In summary, the laboratory has developed a research team with reasonable age structure, knowledge structure, and continuous innovation ability, formed a cultural atmosphere that can attract high-level talents, and has laid the solid foundation for the talents to develop in the KLEB.
By far, the KLEB has trained 44 PhD students (including co-supervised students) and 33 Master students (including co-supervised students).